Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Roller Coaster

Well, today has definitely been one of those roller coaster days! Class started at 10, instead of 8 or 9, so that was nice. We did some interpreting to other interns that went pretty well. I had a nice lunch out on my deck again. Then this afternoon we used the VPs (video phones) to make some mock business calls. I got to call Mark and talk to him through an interpreter (another intern) as if I was a deaf caller asking about some home repairs I needed done. Then I got to be the interpreter for a couple of calls. It was TONS of fun!

I did homework, had dinner (yes, on the deck again but this time needing a sweatshirt!). But I started feeling down.....the homework I did before dinner was a comparison of my ASL to English interpreting to a very accurate interpretation. I realized I made more mistakes than I knew when I was interpreting, so that was disappointing. Then I really started missing my family. I quietly shed a few tears as I thought about how much I wanted to see them and to be home. I've never gone 11 weeks without seeing Amanda or Clay before and I have three to go! I do miss Mark and Brad but have seen them more recently.

I was also easily irritated tonight....I'm usually pretty patient but everything was driving me crazy.....the people in the apartment above us sounded like elephants running up and down the hall and roommates on the phone talking loudly made it difficult to concentrate on my analysis. I finally finished my analyses and realized I didn't do as badly as I thought earlier.

So as I head to bed, I'm feeling more normal.....yeah, I know that's a scary thought! Tomorrow is a new day and one day closer to being home! Don't get me wrong -- I'm so thankful for this opportunity and I know it's where I'm supposed to be but some days it feels like torture to be away from my family this long!

Prayer requests:
Realistic perspective of my skills
Wisdom to know how to use my final weeks to prepare for the NIC
Comfort for my loneliness
Continued health -- my right wrist has been popping almost like a knuckle and feels a little irritated
Spiritual growth and ability to reflect Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment