Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Phenomenal!




Today I finished up my internship hours. It ended on a great note! I was able to interpret part of two conference calls via VP (video phone). It was a lot of stats so difficult but I managed through the first one. I also picked up a bunch of city signs I didn't know and was able to incorporate them. Inside I felt really harried and overwhelmed but kept my composure so the client didn't know. The terp I was working with said that he felt that too because it was very fast paced speaking and that he was happy to have a team so he got a break! :)

Deana & Dustin,
Sorenson Executive Interpreters
Then the second meeting lasted about 45 minutes. I watched for about 15 and then got in the hot seat. I felt much more comfortable with this one. Through both meetings the terp fed me signs when needed and consistently offered positive feedback by saying "good job," "awesome," or similar things. During the second one, he asked a couple times if I was okay or if I needed to switch. I would always ask him if I was doing okay and when he said, "yes," I would continue. So I got to do the last 30 minutes of the meeting. When it was over, he said, "Phenomenal!" He was just amazed at my work. He said it was a really tough meeting similar to the first. I said that I thought the speaker was slower so that made it easier but he thought she was faster. So who knows....maybe experiencing it the first time and then having him be so encouraging made the second time better. But it was great to have him speak so highly of my work...he actually used the word several times. I couldn't help but smile and say, "Yay, me!" :) During lunch he told one of the other terps what I did, and she was surprised because she's done that meeting before and found it challenging too. (See their pic above.)

This afternoon we went to a really technical meeting. I was going to take a turn but didn't feel like I could do it justice because I didn't understand anything and they were mumbling on top of that! So I let the two terps handle it and I just observed. I also wanted to end on a good note and couldn't think of anything better than "phenomenal!" But just to clarify, that does NOT mean I have arrived as the radio told us yesterday when we reached Antelope Island. It was two meetings today and even in those two meetings, there were things I could improve and do better. Learning another language is a lifelong process and there's always room for improvement. I'm pleased with the improvement I've made in the last 13.5 weeks and thrilled to hear encouraging words and share them with you but want you to know it's all relative. Don't expect to see me interpreting in Charlotte and be blown away.....I have improved but I haven't arrived (and won't ever). 

No comments:

Post a Comment