So today I was scheduled for a full day of internship. There were only two meetings so we (the interpreter and I) were able to have lots of discussion of all things interpreting and watch some of my work to discuss. This was not an assignment I was looking forward to, however, I am working with an AWESOME interpreter who is a great team/coach/encourager. :) For one meeting we tandem interpreted which means we sat side-by-side to interpret. He started and I got a feel for the meeting, its terminology and signs, and then he let me interpret. If I didn't understand or hear something, he would take over until that concept was done and then he'd let me take over again. It was really quite a smooth transition. He has a good sense of when I needed help, and would just jump right in but never when I didn't need him. It was quite a technical meeting, and I really had no clue what I was interpreting but when we walked out of the meeting, he looked at me and said, "Well, check YOU out!" I was surprised he felt as good about it as he did. It seemed to go semi-ok for me as I noticed the client smiling and laughing when others did, so I figured my message was being understood but since I didn't understand the topic, it was harder for me to realize how well I was doing.
For the other meeting, he let me interpret the whole thing....about 30 minutes. It was interactive (meaning both hearing and deaf spoke so I had to interpret both ways). Again, he was a great team and would feed me signs if I was struggling or would jump in and voice something I didn't quite get. I felt pretty good about the meeting myself, and got positive feedback from him about this one as well. Plus when we watched my work, we watched part of the NIC practice DVD I did last week, and he confirmed that I got all the information out in my interpretation. I left feeling like I rock! :)
After "work" I caught a cab to go downtown for a manicure and pedicure, walked through downtown Salt Lake City in dress clothes, barefoot, shoes in hand so my toes could dry, caught their light rail system, the Trax, and dined on the patio at a nice Italian place for dinner. Then caught another cab back to my apartment for a language mentor meeting which also went very well. I got a shower, bathed myself in lotion, lit my Bath & Body Works candle and decided to update my blog. I feel like someone who just stepped out of a movie! A life of luxury and pampering....no regard for money! Ha! Seriously? You know I'm the queen of saving money and getting deals! That might be what you SEE but here's the real skinny.....you know I love to tell about my deals.....First of all, I've been working myself like crazy! Easily 16 hour days counting homework and all meetings too, so I needed (well at least felt like I deserved) some "me" time. Secondly, I don't pay for the cabs, I bought a Groupon for the nails $20 for a $50 value, walking is free, I have a monthly pass for the bus/Trax that is provided to me, and I got a coupon on my receipt from lunch with Clay that gave me a free calzone for doing a survey! So for $32 I did all that (tips, freshly made strawberry lemonade and all! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment