Thursday, July 8, 2010

A new day, a new perspective

So Monday was extremely hard, Tuesday was still hard. Wednesday has been much better! :) Things seem to be settling at home some plus they all get to spend next week at the beach! I thought it would be a difficult week for me but I think I'll be glad to know they're having fun.

The internship portion of my residency started! It's been a great experience so far. This morning I was in a familiar setting and so I interpreted about 2/3 of the assignment and felt like it was very successful. Tonight I had another assignment where I did about 1/3 of it. It was overwhelming and really pushed my limits. After it was finished when I met with the certified interpreter who was there as my teammate, she said I was "spot on!" YAY! :) I was really surprised because it was difficult and I didn't feel that great about it myself. She teaches ASL and has been interpreting for years, so I know I can trust her feedback. There were minor things we discussed that could be improved but nothing major. Equivalence was achieved!

So my confidence is boosted some. Sad to say it takes a lot some days. You'd think that just getting into this program would be enough for me to realize I am capable. (We learned there were 120 applicants -- I'm amazed to know I made it to the top 15!) Some days I really wonder if I will be able to pass my certification test when I'm done. So days like today are very welcome!

It's been an extremely busy day though! I left the apt at 7:30 for the first assignment. Came home late morning to finish an analysis, had lunch, went to another assignment, finally finished my analysis, researched my assignment for tonight, had a quick supper then went to another assignment until 9:30! Thankfully I only have one assignment at noon tomorrow and grocery shopping tomorrow afternoon because I have to do a recording and then analyze it before Friday morning.

Friday will be another big day. Class from 8-1. Assignment 1-4. Mentor meeting that evening! Saturday assignment 10-2 and deaf event 5:30-9:30. Whew! I should probably be sleeping instead of writing right now! ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment