Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Rested

So it's been two days but I'm feeling much better. Yesterday was a little bit better and today even more so. I had six hours of internship yesterday and a mentor meeting with one of my two deaf mentors. In reviewing my work, she did have improvements for me to implement but she also had good things to say and overall she felt like it was effective. So that helped a lot. Plus I got to video chat with my family at the beach! It helps to able to see them and hear them!

Then today I met with Cindy Farnham, Master Mentor. She has been interpreting for 20+ years, took special mentor training and opened her own mentoring business. She also helps interpreters prepare for testing, specifically the EIPA. Normally she charges by the hour the same fee she would to freelance but I get her an hour a week all to myself for nothing! :) She has already been a huge encouragement, helping me to see that my skills are where they should be one year out of a program and encouraging me to not put pressure on myself. She will help me figure out WHY I have the ineffective patterns in my work that I do. That's really the only way I can correct them, so I'm excited about that. Our first task is to work on my ASL to English. I've realized that I understand most of what is being signed but for some reason when I'm actually interpreting it, I miss lots of detail. I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll do well on the NIC in September after all of this! But even if I don't pass it now, I still have some time and it will be helpful to take it.

I also got to get out today! All I had was my one hour meeting with Cindy. So I used my bus/light rail pass and found my way downtown to the mall. I enjoyed sushi for lunch, did some shopping, and had frozen yogurt later in the afternoon. It's really HOT here! It's an outdoor mall, so I definitely needed a cool down!

Well, I'm off to a deaf event -- a movie tonight. I think in ASL. So that will be interesting. Thanks for following and for your prayers! I really need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment