Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Poodle Puppies!

We had class today, which went relatively well. We're going to be focusing on specific features of ASL in our interpretations now. Today we discussed fingerpspelling and taped a video. Friday when we have class again, we'll analyze it and meet with a mentor about it. We have another class that will start Friday too.

This evening I had an assignment. I knew that I was at times putting things out a little more English than ASL but felt like I was clear and the message was coming across. Seemed to get good feedback from my deaf mentor. But when we debriefed afterwards, I felt really inadequate. She was very nice and really was just pointing out things like anyone else has ever done but for some reason it hit me differently tonight. I normally have thick skin and don't take anything personally. Normally when someone asks what feedback I want, I just tell them to BRING IT! For some reason, that wasn't a good idea tonight. I wonder if it's because I felt like effective communication was happening but then got quite the opposite story from my mentor. Whatever it was, I don't like it! :(

So after the assignment, I was walking around outside and sat in a gazebo in the grassy area outside my apt for a while. As I sat and thought about things, I realized I talked with my fellow intern on the way home, talked on the phone with Mark after I got back, but hadn't really talked to God about it. So I did. I really was starting to feel lonely and homesick too. Maybe I'm just tired -- everything always seems worse when I'm tired. Anyway, I was really struggling and told God I needed some encouragement. A few minutes later I looked to my left and saw the adorable little white poodle puppies I had seen a few weeks ago! I walked over and talked to their owner who let me hold one again! I got all kinds of love and kisses from that sweet puppy! And I had a nice conversation with their owner. We exchanged names this time and learned more about each other. She lives in my building, so hopefully we'll run into each other more often! :)

I still feel a little down but somewhat encouraged too. I have a long, uninteresting assignment tomorrow that I'm not looking forward to. I'm going to bed soon so hopefully a good night's rest will help with a fresh perspective in the morning. Thanks for reading and praying!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful how God provides everything we need? A co-worker and I have been getting together every morning to start our day off with prayer. It's really made a difference for both of us. It doesn't change the stress of our jobs but it changes us and that's what matters. I know it's hard to accept criticism (even when it's constructive) but remember you were specifically chosen for that program for your knowledge and ability.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's encouragement through HIS creation of creatures reminds me too of how much more loved I am even then them. I too had a visit from God this week with a hummingbird right outside my window at work. God is watching out and providing for you. I know you will continue to learn well.
    Rindi

    ReplyDelete