Monday, August 16, 2010

Busy, Busy!

Well obviously I've been a little busy.....last week I worked hard to get as much done as possible before Friday afternoon when Mark arrived. Then I was just slightly preoccupied spending time with my sweetie! :) We had a wonderful weekend together! He got to see my surroundings, got to meet most of the other interns, attended a deaf event with us, and got to go to my church out here.

He left my apt last night for the airport but unfortunately the flight filled and he didn't get a seat. So he spent the night on a bench in the airport. First thing this morning he didn't think he was going to make a flight but then got a seat in first class! :) He had a layover in Phoenix and was home in Charlotte by 3:30. Pray for him to catch up on his rest. It's been a hard 24 hours.

I'm back to the grind today. We had class and I got a lot of work done today. I met with an interpreter mentor this afternoon and learned that I tend to have a "disconnect" during interpreting. Basically, I need to change my way of processing during interpreting if I'm going to become really skilled at this. This is not a skill I was really taught so she has given me some practice exercises to begin honing this skill. On one hand I'm frustrated because it's going to take so much effort to consciously change this and because I feel like I have so far to go to become proficient. On the other, I'm encouraged that someone has helped pinpoint a hindrance to my interpreting and is offering exercises to improve it. She did say she can see the potential in me and that if I do as she suggests, I will get there. So that's what I'm holding onto!

This week is a little lighter than last. Several interns have been sick so they decided to reduce the number of internship hours for this week in order to help people recover or prevent becoming sick. Thankfully I haven't had any health problems. So I'm hoping that I will have time to practice and begin improving specific skills, especially my processing.

Clay started classes at CPCC this week. It's his senior year of high school but he's trying to get some college classes out of the way. Brad goes back to Chapel Hill this Thursday. Pray he can finish some car repairs and get everything packed on top of still working Tuesday & Wednesday. I haven't heard when Amanda is headed back to Appalachian but I'm sure it will be soon as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to spend some time with your hubby this past weekend. Sorry to hear he spent the night on a bench but I'm sure it helped flying home in first class.(Yay!)

    Hang in there and keep working hard. It sounds like you are learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne,

    I've just been catching up on your blog. Wow! Just reading what you've been doing is making me tired! :) I can't wait to see the expression on Trever's face the next time you interpret for him. I sent him the information about Sorenson in case he didn't know. He's been using it for a couple of years or so. It's a wonderful thing.

    Also, I want to thank you for the blog about I Corinthians 7:17. I sent it to one of my sisters. I think it was just what she needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete