Sunday night to Tuesday night has just been a whirlwind! I've been a little out of touch partly because of that and partly because the internet in our apartment has been out. Sunday evening all 15 of us got together as a group for the first time. You could feel the tension and uncertainty in the room initially. We did team building exercises and slowly that dissipated. By the end of the evening, we were feeling much more cohesive as a group. There was still some apprehension though as we had a lot of questions about the program.
Monday most of those questions were answered as we had orientation. It was a looooong day! We had lots of information given to us and it was all in ASL! I had no idea how tired my eyes would become! They kept tearing up after about 7 hours, and we had a 13 hour day! It was difficult at first too because I have not been exposed to other people signing to me much at all in the last year since graduation. I started out feeling uncertain of my own skills and ability to be here and participate in the program but I kept reminding myself that they must see potential in me or I wouldn't be here. As the day went on, I began to feel more comfortable in the signing only environment. It will definitely help my skills immensely! I have seen improvement in just a few days, so I'm excited about how much I can learn and improve in 14 weeks! :)
Enough for one day....I'll try to keep this updated a little better. There's a lot more to tell but I need to read something for class and hit the hay. Please pray that I would continue to improve my receptive skills so I can fully understand what is being taught in the classes. Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment