I'm currently sitting in the airport at Phoenix waiting for my connecting flight to Salt Lake City. Ambivalence certainly is the word for the day! I'm so excited about the future yet so sad at leaving my family and Charlotte behind.
I've been gearing up for this day for weeks. I've carefully packed everything I think I'll need for 14 weeks, I've had lunch/coffee with friends to say goodbye, I even had my extended family all together last night and celebrated Amanda's 21st birthday a few days early. What I couldn't prepare for was the onslaught of emotions that have hit me last night and this morning.
Those of you who know me well know I don't cry easily. However, it has seemed to happen pretty easily the last 24 hours! Maybe it shouldn't be surprising that after saying goodbye to one of the kids or Mark I would tear up, but to walk in the room this morning and tell Mark I'm ready to go? I think those words made the trip real and current in a way I haven't experienced.
Mark was working this morning and "just happened" to be working the gates around my departure gate. (Thank you, God!) When he didn't have passengers to help, he was able to sit with me. While he worked, I rehearsed my assurances. I'm really glad I wrote that post as it encouraged me this morning. I didn't expect to be reminded so soon! Mark was able to walk me down the jetway and said "goodbye." As he turned to leave and I stood there trying to keep the waterfall in check, I got a text from Amanda saying she missed me already. The waterfall came anyway. So hard to say "goodbye!" I've also had texts and messages from friends encouraging me this morning. Thank you for remembering and taking the time to let me know!
As I sit here, I feel much more encouraged and ready to take on this adventure! :) I'm sure there will be times that will be hard but honestly I think the worst is over with having to say "goodbye."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad you started this blog! It sounds like you've already been on quite an emotional journey. Goodbyes seem to bring life into focus, helping us see who and what is most important to us. You are going to have an incredible time, sprinkled with doubt (at times). Hmmm, that sounds like our experience during school, doesn't? Anyway, Carpe Deim!!!
ReplyDelete