Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's a sure thing....

In my last post I mentioned being sure that this is the right thing for me. God has graciously made it very clear to me that this is the path I should take. I'm SO GRATEFUL for that assurance as it is very difficult to leave my family for 14 weeks. I think this post is a testament to God's work so you may enjoy reading it but it is definitely going to be a reminder to me when times get tough that I am living and doing exactly what I should be at this time.

I learned of the program exactly one week before the application deadline. I got the application three days before the deadline. It was quite extensive and I initially thought that I could never complete it in time. I actually looked through the materials and then put them on a shelf -- not intending to apply. Part of my thought process was also that I couldn't take that much time away from the family. However, in talking individually with each of the kids and Mark about the program, they all encouraged me to apply, saying it was the opportunity of a lifetime and they would be fine here and would put their flight benefits to use by coming to see me. So assurance #1, I have my family's complete support! :)

I then began the application process and was able to fill out multiple forms, video tape myself interpreting, and gather necessary paperwork (to include 3 reference letters.) My deepest thanks to the three who wrote letters on my behalf at the last minute! Assurance #2, I made the application deadline by hours when I previously thought it was impossible!

After mailing the materials, my prayer was that I would only be accepted if it was clearly the direction I should go. I don't know yet how many applicants there were but I know there were over 50 and only 15 of us were accepted. Assurance #3, I made the cut!

Once I knew I was accepted, I began praying about the housing situation. Since I am introverted, I need time alone to recharge my batteries. I was concerned about sharing a bedroom with someone 20 years younger than I. I didn't want roommate concerns to prevent me from sleeping and studying. Assurance #4, I got a room ALL TO MYSELF! :)

There was a point where I thought things weren't going to work out for the program to continue as planned, and I found myself EXTREMELY disappointed that it might not pan out. Assurance #5, I have a strong desire to go in spite of the sacrifices of leaving my family and missing out on things I had planned for this summer.

It seems like there were other little things along the way but I didn't write them down and now can't remember. If I do, I'll add them but I'll just close by saying assurance #6 is the complete peace I feel inside about doing this.

Thank you all for praying with me about many of these things. It's not been a decision lightly made but I believe God has put it in my heart and I'm anxious to see what He has in store!

2 comments:

  1. It's really assuring that you feel so assured in undertaking this residency. As sure as you are sure it helps reassure me to know that we will surely be fine. Sure enough, I'm now confused...be assured that my dry sense of humor will not wane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you. After talking to Mark...it appears God has had His hand in directing this all along

    He never is late...never early...always on time

    Blessings

    Dave

    ReplyDelete